Monday, February 24, 2014

God's Reverse Psychology



Ever have a problem forgiving someone? I very rarely hold grudges, but was struggling with something that I was really hurt and angry about several years ago. One day it struck me  that I was becoming bitter - I never want to become bitter, so I made up my mind that every time I started to think negatively about them that I had to ask the Lord to give them the deepest desire of their heart, to bless them to the point of overflowing in all they hoped for and dreamed...

That sounds pretty cavalier of me perhaps but, here's the tricky part, and it sounds kind of terrible,  I soon started to think about what they did or to think about them PERIOD less and less until they rarely crossed my mind at all. Next thing I knew, months later when I did think about them again my attitude towards them had softened and I had changed - that root of bitterness that had been about to take hold within me was gone.

The angry "flesh" part of me resisted having to wish them well initially. Rather than wish them well I canceled thoughts of them out entirely...at least for a while. I think perhaps it was a bit of reverse psychology from the Lord. :) Notice I say I think, but I'm reminded that He tells us  :

Isaiah 55:8-9

8:
 “For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.
9:
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts.

All I truly know is that somehow it has worked. My prayers for their well-being now is both genuine and from the heart.

No comments: