Monday, January 24, 2011

A Book About Leroy W. Allen, Fine Artist

Photo:Kansas City Star First Anniversary of 9/11
Front Page of the Kansas City Star 
I'd promised myself that I was going to write a book about my brother, Leroy W. Allen, the extraordinary fine artist who left us in 2007. Shortly after his death I attempted to tackle the task and almost immediately realized it wasn't time and that it probably wouldn't be time anytime soon. I tucked my pen and thoughts away, allowed myself to enter and begin the journey of early healing and immersed my grief related creative urges in a host of other tasks.

It appears I'm approaching the time now when I might be able to do him, his art, his still unfolding legacy and the love we, his family, felt from and for him justice. I've begun to rumble through memories - both tangible (photos, writings, drawings, videos, etc.) and intangible more and more. I love what I'm feeling, thinking, seeing through eyes both of hindsight and new revelation. My hand now itches with the need to try to capture a part of him for posterity.

When and how long it will be? I have no idea, I just know that God willing it will now happen. I'm grateful.
An old photo of Leroy, his daughters, our parents and me.

No comments: