Thursday, February 28, 2008

A Minute with Author Jackie Young

Here she is! You're going to enjoy this very special scribe!




What's Your Name and the title or titles of your books?

I'm Jackie Young – poet, writer, and all-around creative catalyst. My first published offering is a poetry collection entitled "Love's Reparations: the Learning Curve between Heartache & Healing".


What genre do you normally write in?

I guess you could say that poetry is "home base" for me. It's truly where I found I had a "voice". Ever the overachiever, I'm also dabbling in some fiction as well as non-fiction.


Could you tell us just a little about yourself?

Hmmm…what's to tell? I'm a native Virginian, the world's most favorite Aunt, a lover of art in all forms (writing, music, painting, dance, etc.). Overall, I'd say that I'm a true lover of life, love and learning.


Will you give us a brief overview of your latest, or if you prefer, your favorite book?

"Love's Reparations" is about growing through whatever barriers, pain, or fears we have to get to the best part of our relationships – be that relationship with God, self, significant other, family/friends. I like to think of it as a "deep tissue massage for the soul".

I have far too many "favorites" to single out one but I will tell you what they all have in common: definitely an engaging storyline. When I curl up to read them, I do so with highlighter in hand or pen/paper so that I can note those passages or phrases that just take me over the top. I love a story that teaches me something or challenges me. Along those lines, some of the books falling into that category would be anything by Pearl Cleage, JD Mason, Linda Dominique Grosvenor, Jenoyne Adams and of course Peggy Eldridge Love.


Where are your books available?

My books are primarily available via my website (www.jackieyoungwrites.com) and Amazon. Barnes & Noble, and Borders will order if for you if requested.


Are you working on anything new at the moment?

Not as fast as I'd like to be but yes. I'm actually juggling multiple writing projects right now. I'm working on a non-fiction offering that I hope to publish in December 08. I'm also trying to corral the characters for my first fiction offering for a Fall 2009 release. And of course there's more poetry on tap – I actually pushed back my publication date for my follow-up collection so hopefully we'll see that in the second quarter of 2009. You'll notice that I didn't name titles. LOL Not being cagey – it's just that my muse likes to shuffle the deck on me so I'm waiting until we're further into the writing process to "name names" so to speak.


What one statement would you like to make that you think our audience and your readers might benefit from?


LIVE life out loud, on purpose - dream so big, so beautiful, so bold that only God can answer.


Wow, thanks Jackie! What a pleasure!

9 comments:

TeddyB said...

It's always wonderful when you can truly feel a person's warm personality by reading their responses. Very nice piece. I can't wait for her work to bloom and sprinkle sunshine on us...again.

tb

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Hey Ms Peggy and Ms J. Just stopping by to show some love. Can't wait for the next release(s).

Love & Peace,
VeeJay

princessdominique said...

Awesome. I'm going to have to come back everyday to see who's next. Jackie is such an engaging writer herself. I'm waiting baited breath for her novel. A very telling interview.

Timothy Stelly Sr said...

Excellent interview, Peggy; and Jackie, how wonderful it is that we can keep up with you.

Diamond said...

Very wonderful. I am especially proud of you. Keep up the great goals and make your progress.

Shelia said...

Good interview ladies.

MsJayy said...

teddyb...*blush* thanks. your #1 fan

Veejay - thanks Sis. I'm working on it...

Dom - re: "engaging" - it must be the company I keep.

Stelly - still holding that shelf space. Don't keep me waiting!

DIAMOND!! Thank you my friend for stopping through! I'm moving Sis, I'm moving.

Shelia - thanks Sis.

Thanks again Peggy! That was fun. And um, the adoption papers are in the mail. LOL

Peggy said...

Thank you one and all! I told you she was something!

WOW, Diamond! What a pleasure to see you!

Teddyb, Vanessa, Dom, Tim, and Shelia - next time! BTW, one of you is next!

Peggy said...

Jackie-

You would have to be able to see how many people came by who didn't leave a comment to appreciate how many people want to know about you and follow your career. The numbers were "big". Just keep being the wonderful person and artist that you are and good things cannot help but happen for you.

Thanks for the minute!